Ascension Youth Ministry (AYM)
Ascension Youth Ministry consists of teens and adult volunteers and provides opportunities for service, faith formation and social activities. Its signature events – among many – are the Appalachia Service Project (ASP) and Youth Group meetings where we learn to bring our faith into our lives.
Ascension Youth Ministry’s (AYM) mission statement is: “a voyage of hope (from Confirmation forward) to anchor teens into a life-giving Eucharistic faith.” Why?
- The world is full of many values and masks we all inevitably wear to survive. Teens need a place to go to be anchored into something solid (God) and to be accepted for where they are at in their lives while being encouraged to live out a faith in Christ. Youth Ministry is a meant to help teens be real in their sharing and to find and live out their connection to God
- Life is messy, unpredictable, exciting, exhausting, and yet exhilarating. It is helpful for teens to have a place to go to share what is going on, to build new friendships with people who share similar morals and values, and to be known for something other than academics or sports
- Sometimes a teen just has to get away from the stress of life and play some games and laugh, to allow their heart to share its pains and pray through them, and to know they aren’t alone in those deeper thoughts
- So teens can be accepted, mentored and cared for by people (young adults/adults other than one’s family) who want to find the best in in a teen and affirm and help them to grow in their unique giftedness
- Ultimately, to know that rooting yourself in a Catholic community, with the richness of spirituality and strength that comes in its values, practice, mission, and beliefs, allows all of us to become better people. Eucharistic living means we allow Jesus to feed us through the Eucharist in order to more fully care about each other and the needs of the world. So that, we praise the good stuff and lift up the bad, and keep on walking with Jesus as our guide. The friendship with Jesus, found individually and through others, is essential for making it through life (and to heaven too.)
How is all this done? Through events offered monthly (or more!); Leadership opportunities (Peer ministry and ASP teen leaders); Retreats and lock-in’s; Social events; Service events & Mission trips; & prayer opportunities.
Follow AYM on Facebook: Ascension Youth Ministry and Twitter: @ascension_op_ym